The gamecock. (Columbia, S.C.) 1908-2006, March 18, 1909, Image 1
Vol. 11. UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA, COLUMBIA, S. C., MARCH 18, 1909 No. 18
SONS OF CAROLINA
Many Graduates of University Are
Prominent in Educational Work.
SCATTERED OVER THE COUNTRY
College Presidents, Professors, and Men In
All Branches of Education Received
Their Training at Carolina.
The graduates of Carolina have dis
tinguished themselves in the field of
education as well as in all other walks
of life. The University can boast of
having prepared some of the most
prominent educators of today. It is
DR. CHARLES ELIOT
our purpose to give a short sketch of
some of the most prominent of these
educators since their graduation.
Samuel Reynolds Pritchard grad
uated with the A. B. degree in 1885,
A. M. in 1890. He was a member of
the Euphradian Society. He taught
Greek in 1886, and was later made in
structor in mathematics. In 1890 he
resigned and accepted the assistant
professorship in mathematics at Wof
ford College. From 1893-1898 he was
professor of physics and electrical en
gineering at Virginia A. and M. Col
lege. In 1898 he was elected profes
sor of electrical engineering at Vir
ginia Polytechnic Institute, which po
sition he now holds.
John Sherwood McLucas took the
A. B. degree in 1893. He was instruc
tor in mathematics, 1893-1894. M'r.
McLucas then went to Harvard Uni
versity and graduated with the A. B.
degree in 1895. He was as i?ant pro
fessor of English at Clemson Coll.ge,
1896-1905. In 1899 he went back to
Harvard for his A. M. degree. He is
now a professor in Carnegie Institute.
Edward Caleb Coker was a mem
ber of the Euphradian Society. He
left the Junior Class in 1893. He went
to the University of Virginia, wherc
he graduated in 1897, taking the'A. B.
degree. He was principal of St.
David's Academy, Darlington, 1894
1896. Prom here he went to Marion to
be the superintendent of city schools,
1897-1901. He was superintendent of
the schools of Greenwood, 19o1-19o6.
(CONTTNTE T N PAGEn rT.) r
Her Statesmen and Jurists Have Been
Loyal to Their Alma Mater.
LAW GRADUATES RANK HIGH
The University Has Reason To Be Proud
of Their Wisdom and Justice.-An
Honor to Her.
The catalogue of alumni, since the
reopening of the college in 188o,
contains the names of many distin..
guished lawyers and barristers. Some
few, born Carolinians, have left their
mother State at the call of a wider mis
sion, while others have come to us
from sister States and served as true
citizens. The records of a few of
Carolina's graduates in the Depart
ment of Law are given below:
Major John Hardin Marion was
born in Sumter County in 1874 and
graduated from the South Carolina
College at the age of nineteen with
the degree of Bachelor of Arts and
Bachelor of Laws. He was a member
of the Clariosophic Society and be
longed to the Phi Kappa Psi fraternity
while in College. In '93 he was ad
mitted to the bar by special act, and
for four years was county attorney.
He served in the Spanish-American
War with the First .1egiment, South
Carolina Volunteers; and.ter the war
was elected at the head of tt- Chester
delegation to the House of Represen
tatives. In 1900 he was elected major,
Third Battalion, First Regiment,
South Carolina Volunteers, Infantry.
He is now general counsel for the Car
ol.na and Northwestern Railroad.
John Joseph McMahan is a native of
Fairi0eld Cou1nL . He gradluated at the
South Carolina College with B. A. and
M. A. <;egrees, and later began to prac
tice law in Columbia. He was a mem
ber of the Constitutional convention
in 1895, and served as presidential
elector in 1896.
Francis .Hopkins Weston was born
in Richland County in '66, and was
(CON".'INUIED ON PAGE THREE)
The Fund Has Done Much Good
STUDENTS HELPED THROUGH
More than One Hundred Men Have Been
Enabled to Receive an Education.
Fund Constantly Increasing.
At the centennial celebration of
the South Carolina College held in
Charleston in 1901, a plan was pro
posed by prominent alumni present to
provide for an endowment fund.
Prompt steps were taken to carry out
the idea and by the subscriptions of
loyal alumni of the old college and
.new university about seven thousand
dollars are now in the hands of the
trustees and the amount is continually
The college had never had an ci
dowment fund of any kind up to that
time. The Allston, Hampton, Legare
and other scholarship funds existed in
name only; the principal had been
swallowed up in the days of Recon
struction and the scholarships now
carry fiee tuition for merit only, in
honor of the men who endowed them.
As a fitting memorial to mark the Cen
tennial of the College it was proposed
to raise a sum of money the interest
of which was to be used in assisting
MAJOR BENJAMIN SLOAN.
deserving students in the cxplcses of
their college.course. The original sug
gestion came from Dr. Frank F. Simp
son, '89,- now a physician in Pittsburg,
but Prof. A. C. Moore and Mr. Au
gust Kohn took a prominent part in
the organization that followved. Mr.
E. G. Siebels has subscribed liberally
to the fund and is nowv in charge of its
The~ plan in brief is as follows:
Therg are a great many deserving
young men- in the State who cannot
raise anore than half the amount of
mioney necessary for his expenses in
college. The interest from the en
dlowmpnt fund is loaned to these men
(CONTINUEn N PaAG r THor.E1
IN FRONT RANK
Architects and Engineers Who Have
HOLD RESPONSIBLE POSITIONS
Carolina Men Have Made Good in All the
Various Branches of the Great
The Department of Engineering and
Mathematics has produced many men
who have risen to the top notch in
their profession. Although, in elec
trical engineering, the University of
fers little more than a purely theoret
ical course, the careers of the gradu
ates in this branch reflect honor on
their instructor. In civil engineering,
great stress is laid on theory, but the
amount of practical training given is
Short accounts of distinguished en
gineers and architects who are grad
uates of the University are given be
WNI. C. Whitner graduated -as an
engineer in 1885 and commenced inde*
pendent practice at once. Some of his
work has been the developing of the
water power at Portman Shoals, near
Anderson; the Catawba River, near
Rock Hill; the Chattahoochee River,
near Columbus, Ga., and several other
water powers in the State of Virginia.
He is now chief engineer of the Vir
ginia Passenger and Power Co., with
headquarters at Richmond.
S. D. Dunn graduated in the same
class and went at once into manufac
turing. He has been for years general
manager of the Southern Cotton Oil
Mill at Winnsboro, S. C.
S. R. Pritchard, of the same class,
is professor of electrical engineering at
V. P. I. of Blacksburg, Va.
H. H. Huggins, of the class of 1886,
PROF. A. C. MOol.
went at once into general practice as
engineer. In 189o went into the firm
of Wilson & Huiggins, architects, at
Roanoke, Va. Since 1895 he has been
practicing alone in Roanoke, and is
(CONTINUED ON PAE TnrE. -